This town, named after the Marquis de LaFayette, was taken
from Pompey and Onondaga and organized April 15, 1825.
The French general Marquis de Lafayette, called the hero of two
worlds, was prominent in both the American Revolution and the
French Revolution. Born on Sept. 6, 1757, to a noble family in the
Auvergne, he defied the French authorities in 1777 by crossing the
Atlantic to offer his services to the Continental Congress at Philadelphia.
A friend of George Washington, who became his model, he served
under him at the Battle of the Brandywine and at Valley Forge.
The town contains 28,200 acres of land, of which 6,400 acres belongs
to the Onondaga Reservation. The surface of the town is hilly and broken,
the high ridge between Butternut and Onondaga Creeks, the two
principal streams, having steep declivities and rising from three to six
hundred feet in altitude. The valleys on the east and west of this
ridge - Sherman Hollow and Christian Hollow - extend the entire length
of the town, and present an unusually rich and beautiful landscape
when viewed from the summits.
Located in the heart of New York, the center of town is at the at the
crossing of the two longest roads in the country, spanning all the way from
Canada to Florida and the East Coast to the West!